Last Updated on 11th September 2019 by Kirsty Smithson
A Plumber from Nottinghamshire has been fined after putting, his son and a young family at risk of asbestos exposure.
The plumber, Dean Fisk had been employed to replace a galvanized water tank in the loft of a house in Clifton.
The Health and Safety Executive told Nottingham magistrates, that Mr Fisk had failed to carry out any asbestos surveys to clarify whether asbestos was present and in what form and condition.
On 18 January 2012, Mr Fisk’s son, Jack, also a plumber, removed an asbestos box from around the tank, breaking some of the panels. HSE found he had not had any asbestos awareness training.
As a consequence, the loft became contaminated with potentially deadly fibres and licensed contractors had to be brought in to remove all traces of the asbestos at a cost to the home owner of £2,870. The home owner – a mother with a young son – lost a number of personal belongings of great sentimental value.
Dean Fisk, 53, of Flawforth Avenue, Ruddington, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 10(1)(a) and 16 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 and was fined a total of £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £4,000. He was also ordered to pay compensation of £2,870 to the home owner.
For any asbestos related services required, including asbestos surveys please contact the Armco office 0161 763 3727.
Published May 30, 2013