Family of Chelmsford man who died of asbestos exposure seek answers

Last Updated on 11th January 2021 by James Jacobs

Family of Chelmsford man who died of asbestos exposure seek answers

The family of a man from Chelmsford who died of an asbestos related cancer are seeking answers from his former employer concerning his exposure to asbestos.

Norman Samuel Scarlett died in February of this year after falling ill in the autumn of 2016.

He began to complain of shortness of breath and tiredness.

Now his daughter, Carol Scarlett, is asking for help from anyone who may have worked with her father at Essex County council.

Mr Scarlett worked there in the construction department as a carpenter from 1973 until 1987.

After visiting his doctor, Mr Scarlett from Chelmsford was informed that he was suffering from mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos.

Carol ended up caring for her father at his home in Roxwell, Chelmsford, as his health deteriorated over the months as result of exposure to asbestos many years previously.

Solicitors are instructed to investigate asbestos exposure claims

The family of Mr Scarlett have now instructed specialist lawyers to investigate the case.

Hodge Jones & Allen will be tasked with investigating to try and establish how and when Mr Scarlett was exposed to asbestos.

They will also try to establish whether or not his employer could have done more to protect his wellbeing.

From what is already known, the ceiling of the Carpenters’ Department where Norman worked contained damaged asbestos tiles.

As well as that, there were also asbestos lagged pipes that ran above the area where Norman worked.

The asbestos was removed from the building at a later date.

However, at the time it was in situ, Norman told his family that he was not offered adequate protection from the asbestos fibers.

All he was given was a thin paper mask to wear, which proved useless.

Coroner launches inquiries before inquest

The Chelmsford Coroner has launched an inquiry to establish the exact cause of Mr Scarlett’s death and whether not it was directly linked to asbestos exposure.

The conclusion will be heard at the future inquest which will take place in a few months time.

Speaking about her father, Carol Scarlett said, “Dad was very hardworking and thorough in his work. He was a quiet man who enjoyed being creative. When retired, he developed a Wild West cowboy circus act. He didn’t have an easy life. During the Second World War, he was captured at the Battle of Anzio in Italy and became a prisoner of war.”

“Dad’s Mum lived until she was 98 and I thought Dad would live until his late 90s too. He was always very fit and took pride keeping in good physical shape. He was very active until his illness made him too sick to enjoy his life.”

“Dad was very ill with mesothelioma for five months. He became extremely tired and frail due to being off his food and being extremely breathless on exertion. It was very sad to watch a very strong, brave and caring man become so frail due to mesothelioma.”

Essex County Council have issued a statement saying that their ‘sympathies are with Mr Scarlett’s family at this difficult time’, but that they are unable to pass further comment further as the Coroner has only just launched the inquest into the Chelmsford man’s suspected exposure to asbestos.

Source article by Matthew Critchell

Duty holders and employers have a legal responsibility to manage asbestos in their building so as not to put employees at risk. Contact our Armco office for asbestos management and refurbishment/ demolition surveys on 0161 763 3727 or by visiting https://www.armco.org.uk/

Alternatively, for all your asbestos training needs call 0161 761 4424 or visit https://www.armcoasbestostraining.co.uk/ for more information or to book a training course.

Latest News...
20th February 2024Asbestos, once hailed as a wonder material for its fire-resistant properties, has left a complex legacy across the globe, particularly within the construction industry. Its durability and insulating qualities made it a staple in buildings and homes, yet its hazardous impact on health is undeniable. Inhalation of asbestos fibres can lead to serious diseases, including […] [...] Read more...
30th January 2024Asbestos, once widely used in the UK for its heat-resistant properties, now poses a significant health risk in older buildings. Identifying this material is crucial for ensuring safety, particularly in structures built before the late 20th century. For experts at Armco, specialists in asbestos surveys and removal, the ability to detect asbestos accurately is vital. […] [...] Read more...
26th October 2023Asbestos once hailed for its heat resistance and insulation properties, has been extensively used in a myriad array of industries including construction, automotive and shipbuilding. However, its use has been significantly curtailed due to the serious health risks it poses when its fibres become airborne. The objective of this blog is to shed light on […] [...] Read more...
23rd August 2023Asbestos, once celebrated for its fire-resistant properties and durability, has left an indelible mark on public health and safety due to its carcinogenic nature. While significant strides have been made in asbestos management and regulation, the journey toward effective asbestos handling is far from over. In this article, we explore the exciting innovations and advancements […] [...] Read more...
13th July 2023Last Updated on 26th July 2023 by max2021 If you are concerned there might be asbestos in your home or workplace, one option you have is to test the area and material you suspect contains ACMs – Asbestos Containing Materials. This is not a commonly held skill. So like many people, you may head to […] [...] Read more...
24th May 2023The dangers of using a Bee Blower that contains asbestos Beekeeping is a beloved hobby that has been practised for centuries. However, it can also be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. One of the lesser-known hazards of beekeeping is using bee blowers containing asbestos. If your supplier imported the equipment from China, it […] [...] Read more...

Published Apr 10, 2017

Get in touch