Health Board fined for asbestos related safety failings

Last Updated on 12th April 2022 by Dan

Greater Glasgow Health Board, known as NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde has found guilty and fined after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted them for exposing several workers to potentially deadly asbestos fibres during a seven-year period.

The Court heard that that had failed to properly manage the risks of asbestos in a ground floor neurology plant and switch room of Southern General Hospital. It was reported that three surveys, used to identify and manage asbestos containing materials (ACMs) in premises, had been carried out and all concurred that high risk asbestos containing material was present in the ceiling of the room. The reports recommended that the material be removed and the area environmentally cleaned. The HSE stated that the health board was advised of this on each occasion, but no alas action was taken.

It was heard that at a later date and electrical contractor was working in the area and found damaged ACMs and debris that posed a “high risk”.  The room was sealed and background monitoring tests showed a high level of air contamination and the matter was reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Greater Glasgow Health Board, of JB Russell House, Gartnavel Royal Hospital, Great Western Road, Glasgow, was fined £10,000 after pleading guilty to a breach of Regulation 4(10)(b) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006.

If you would like to see the full storey, please see the following link to the HSE website:

Should you have any asbestos related queries, please contact the Armco office on 0161 763 3727.


Published Jan 09, 2014

Get in touch