Last Updated on 22nd April 2021 by Marketing
Stuart Pearce, ex professional footballer and current manager of Nottingham Forest Football Club has recently revealed that he could have breathed in deadly asbestos dust in his early days playing football whilst working part time as an electrician.
He was an electrician for 4 years in the early 1980’s and has revealed his potential exposure to asbestos fibres have given him the chance of developing a life threatening disease such as Mesothelioma in the future.
The threats to health and safety and dangers of asbestos have been heavily publicised lately and people are becoming more aware of this through campaigns from the health and safety executive (HSE). The HSE states that 1.3million tradespeople could be exposed to asbestos each year.
Health and safety regulations and work with asbestos has come a long way since the 1980’s and Pearce said that he “could have been exposed without knowing-we were simply ignorant about the risks back then”.
Pearce is now backing the Beware Asbestos safety campaign from the HSE and urging those most at risk, for example tradespeople, to be aware of the dangers that asbestos fibres can have and how to properly deal with asbestos containing materials (ACM’s). The campaign includes a free web application for phones, tablets and computers that helps people to easily identify when they could come into contact with asbestos in their work and an easy to follow guide on how to work with asbestos safely. Pearce is encouraging tradespeople to download the web app.
You can find the free app here https://www.beware-asbestos.info/
Asbestos can be found in many places; ceilings, walls, tiles and any type of building built before the year 2000. It was used extensively in insulation and little of it has been removed. Once the asbestos has been disturbed and becomes airborne it can be inhaled which is when the dangers become materialise.
In the campaign urging tradespeople to be careful in their work Pearce says “make sure you are aware where it can be found and how to deal with it safely, even on basic jobs like drilling holes or sanding could mean the difference between life and death”
After exposure it can take over 30 years for the effects and symptoms to show, and it is more harmful to those who have been exposed over a long period of time or those who smoke.
If you think you have been exposed to asbestos and develop a cough or suffer from shortness of breath you should seek medical attention immediately.
At Armco, we specialise In Asbestos Management Surveys, and refurbishment/ demolition surveys, and have over 15 years experience. If you are in need of an Asbestos Survey or unsure whether your premises requires one, we will be only too happy to oblige, you can get in touch us on 0161 763 03727 or fill in our contact form on our website https://www.armco.org.uk/
We also provide comprehensive Asbestos Awareness Training, Working with non-licensed asbestos training, face fit testing and training and online courses that can be tailored to your company and requirements. For information on training call us on 0161 761 4424 or visit our dedicated training website and fill out the contact form https://www.armcoasbestostraining.co.uk/
Published Feb 03, 2015